Thursday, August 09, 2007

Only news that fits the print

Is it just me, or does the new New York Times look and feel like USA Today (or worse)? The NYTs acknowledges fewer words per page while raising their price. I know they are saving $10 million, and that newspapers are in trouble these days, but making an appreciably cheaper product and charging a premium doesn't make sense to me. Those of us who love the Times love more words per page not fewer. People will pay for quality, but you have to offer it.

(Why does this make me think of the tabloids? While I was in Saratoga Springs waiting on the grocery store check-out line, I saw what is now my favorite fake-news head line: "First Photographs from Heaven." Apparently someone had smuggled their camera phone through the Pearly Gates. Who said "you can't take it with you"? I'd bet $499 and a Sprint PCS cancellation fee that it was an iPhone!)

(The New York Times shouldn't have missed this one . . . )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No kidding. Fluff quotient has skyrocketed.